Pilot Feasibility Grant
The Diabetes Research Center funds Pilot Feasibility projects related to diabetes for up to $50,000 per year. Projects are generally funded for a year, but can be extended for a second year, based on progress.
The Pilot Feasibility Program solicits applications from qualified investigators, ensures prompt peer-review, oversees grant administration, monitors funded investigators’ records of productivity, and integrates sponsored research with other programmatic enrichment activities.
Investigators need not be Diabetes Research Center members at the time of application. However, they need to be appointed to the faculty. Please note that graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply.
Three types of applications are considered:
- Proposals from young investigators who have not held any prior funding to carry out preliminary studies leading to an NIH, ADA, or JDFR grant application
- Proposals for innovative and high-risk projects by established investigators in the field of diabetes
- Proposals from established investigators, without prior funding in diabetes, who wish to undertake a diabetes project
Applicants may request up to $50,000 per year for up to two years. Indirect costs are NOT applicable. A second year of funding will be based on demonstrated progress and availability of funds. The awards can be used for salary support and research expenses. Proposals will be reviewed by two outside experts.
- Letter of Intent: October 2017
- Completed application: November 10, 2017
- Decisions made: Early 2018 for Feb. 1, 2018 start date
Please submit a 1-page non-binding letter of intent stating the applicant’s name, title of the project, campus address, a biosketch, and brief outline of the proposed research. This includes any pertinent information, such as current use of DRC facilities and current diabetes-related funding.
Letters of intent must be addressed to:
Rudolph Leibel, MD
Associate Director for Pilot & Feasibility Programs
Diabetes Research Center
Berrie Research Pavilion, Room 238
1150 Saint Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032
Upon review and approval of the letter of intent, chosen applicants will be directed to an online grant application.